Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It Started With A Book

A dayplanner, really. Last year's. Found in the bins. I picked it up for two reasons.

All those sturdy, lined pages seemed somehow liberating. I could sketch on them without worrying about being perfect or right or exact or anything. Just expressive. Just fun.

And there was the single inscription. March 15th. Worst decision ever made...miss you. I've made a few of those myself.

So, the thing came home with me and sat on a shelf all winter. Until I picked it up because I wanted to do some silly drawing. As you'll see, I love silly drawing. And on the very first page, after some other things, I drew a monster.

Is it a monster wearing a human mask, or a human in a monster suit? I don't know. But it made me smile. The carelessness of it. The not caring about proportion or perfection. Yes, I thought, more of this.

Then, a whole page of monsters. And another. And another.

And thus, Monster Monster was born. Where are we going? I have some ideas. Does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment