Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Year Ago



About a year ago, I came up with the idea for Monster Monster. Cute, mysterious little beings: monsters wearing human masks...humans wearing monster suits...sweet-faced monsters with their masks off....both. Maybe neither.

Drawing the monsters, their sunshine colors, their faces, usually smiling, sometimes contemplative, their big bright eyes, makes me happy. And happiness is most of what I want to share with the world through my art and design.

For whatever reason, the monsters have not taken off as an art line. This makes me sad. I've had just enough good feedback to help me continue to believe in them - that, and every time I look at them, I smile - but not enough success in terms of sales and interest to create the positive energy I need to build and grow this little world.

So, my question becomes, what next? Do I keep going? Push harder? Find new and clever ways to market the monsters? Or do I conclude that this was never meant to be and let the monsters live on only in the pages of my sketchbooks?

My heart says to keep going. I still believe in the monsters and their world. Anything that makes me happy, makes me smile, has a place in my world if nowhere else. And so, I ask you all: what next?

2 comments:

  1. I totally think you should keep going. not only do these little beings make you happy, I love the glimpses I've gotten into the world they come from. I want to know more about them, and see how they develop.

    Did I mention that I love how they make you happy? Moar MonsterMonsters, plz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the monsters. With my dated, single-purpose fixtures I have a heck of a time displaying them in a way that does them justice, and it's not easy for you to get out there and promote them...but people who do see them love them.

    ReplyDelete